I love summer but one of the last things I want to do when it’s 90F with 90% relative humidity outside is stand in front of a hot grill or stove.
This salad is the perfect lunch or dinner side dish. It captures all the flavors of summer in one bowl.
Who says salads need to have lettuce?
This is our second year in our new home and the first summer since we’ve set up our little garden in the city. Our tiny lemon tree that was gifted to us last year has begun to bear fruit and the veggies we planted in January are ripe and ready for the first harvest of the year.
We challenged ourselves to make a dish using only vegetables grown from our garden. The only store-bought ingredients we used in this salad is a bottle of olive oil, black peppercorns, and grey sea salt. Short of harvesting our own sea salt and pressing our own olive oil, this salad is as local and seasonal as you’re going to get in Hong Kong.
While tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers thrive under summer sun, lettuce plants bolt and turn bitter. Not a problem! The best parts of any salad are always the toppings anyways.
You’ll notice that all the vegetables in this recipe are crunchy and full of juicy goodness. This dish is not only full of flavor, but it’s the perfect way to hydrate and re-energize after a hot summer afternoon.
With all the flavorful ingredients, there’s no need for any additional dressing. Keep the recipe simple with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper or dress it up with your favorite herbs.
Oregano, thyme, and basil work well and add just that bit of something to the dish. Turn this salad into a salsa with a sprinkle of cumin and fresh cilantro. An endless combination of spices and flavors makes this one of my favorite recipes to turn to during the summer.
- Cucumber – 1 cup, sliced
- Tomatoes – 1 cup, sliced
- Sweet Bell Pepper – 1 cup, sliced
- Olive Oil – Drizzle, about 1 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 wedge
- Salt and Pepper – To taste
- Herbs (Basil, Oregano, Thyme) – To taste
- Slice all the vegetables thinly and place in a large bowl. We want to release their flavors and coat them thoroughly in spices and dressing.
- Drizzle your vegetables with the lemon juice and olive oil. Sprinkle salt, black pepper, and spices to season your salad.
- Gently toss your salad. Make sure the juices and oil is mixed evenly and all the vegetables are seasoned well.
Prep time: Cook time: Yield: 1 bowl